Where are we currently? As it stands, many of our neighborhood parks are the focus of $500,000 of American Rescue Plan (ARPA) funding.
- In early 2023, we sought the public's input on how best to spend the money. We heard overwhelmingly that the public favors parks and recreation.
- Over the summer of 2023, we conducted a public survey of adults and youth (over 550 responses) as to what they would like to see most in their neighborhood parks. The target parks are Morgan Park, Paxton Lane Park, Stratford-Hawthorne Park, and MLK Park.
- In September 2023, the results of the survey were brought before the Town Council.
- As of November 2023, Town Hall staff is working with contractors to develop site plans of each neighborhood park, so we know what the improvements and upgrades will look like. From there, we can share the designs with the public and move forward. We have chosen to take our time with this project, so that quality products are delivered to our residents and nothing is rushed. With our ARPA funds allocated, they will no longer expire.
- As of January 2024, we are in the process of receiving site plans and renderings from a firm we have partnered with -- Carolina Parks and Play -- for each of the parks. When this is complete, we hope to share some of the designs with the public for feedback before moving forward with preliminary work. We are also looking at grant funding to supplement our existing $500,000.
- In February 2024, we are now publishing the first site renderings from Carolina Parks and Play!
Stay tuned for more updates as we move forward. We are excited to revamp our parks across town and hope this will increase the quality of life for our residents and neighbors.