Burn Permits

How do I obtain a Burn Permit? 

Burn permits have moved online! To obtain one, visit the N.C. Forest Service website and/or follow our guidelines attached below. We are happy to offer further guidance if you stop by the station or give us a call. 


Before filing for a Burn Permit, please familiarize yourself with the air quality regulations related to outdoor burning. They are available on the N.C. Forest Service's burn permit site. 

You can be fined up to $25,000 for illegal open burning in North Carolina.

Smoke from open burning can cause serious health problems and pollute the air. That's why the State regulates open burning. Only leaves, branches, or other plant growth can be burned. 

It's ILLEGAL to burn:

  • Garbage, paper, and carboard 
  • Tires and other rubber products 
  • Building materials, including lumber wire, plastics and synthetic materials 
  • Asphalt shingles and heavy oils 
  • Paints, household, and agricultural chemicals 

Homeowners can burn yard trimmings (excluding logs and stumps) if allowable under local ordinances, no public pickup is available, and it doesn't cause a public nuisance. Other allowable burning includes campfires, outdoor barbeques, and bonfires for festive occasions. Landowners can also open burn vegetation to clear land or rights-of-way, provided that: 

  • Prevailing winds are away from built up areas and roads 
  • Fires are at least 500 feet away from occupied buildings 

Burning is done between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM!

Remember, burn permits issued by the N.C. Forest Service or any local government do not excuse a person from following these rules.

For more information, contact your Air Quality Regional Supervisor or County Forest Ranger (Anthony DeSocio)