FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Who should I contact for more information or if I have questions about the curbside recycling program?

For more information or any questions about the curbside recycling program, please contact the Public Works Department at 252-482-4111 or the Public Information Office at 252-482-2155 ext. 535. They will be able to assist you with any inquiries you may have.

  • The following items can be recycled -
  1.          #1 & #2 plastic bottles/jug (rinsed)
  2.          steel, tin & aluminum cans  (rinsed)
  3.           paper
  4.           cardboard boxes - flattened
  5.           food & beverage cartons - rinsed 


  • The following items are not able to be recycled and should be placed in the garbage -
  1.            paint cans
  2.            aerosol cans
  3.            motor oil
  4.            plastic bags
  5.            wood products
  6.            yard waste
  7.            glass bottles



Small limbs, leaves, and other yard-related debris can be placed at the curb for collection on Thursday and Friday by the Public Works Department.  Please do not place leaves in garbage bags, in a container, or on a tarp as the Town has a leaf collection machine that will collect the leaves by a vacuum.

All limbs should be less than 60" in length.  Keep separate from leaves and grass clippings. 

DO NOT PLACE ANY yard waste in the street.  This causes clogged storm drains and will cause flooding.

All yard waste should be at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on Thursday morning.