FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I mistakenly use a blue recycling bin for trash?


During the grace period, if your blue recycling bin is used for trash instead of recycling, it will not be collected. The same goes if you put incorrect recyclables into the recycling bin. However, after two incorrect pickups, your blue bin will be confiscated. 

How can I get a recycling bin?

If you do not currently have a blue recycling bin, please fill out the form linked above on this page. For additional questions, call Public Works at 252-482-4111. 

I live out in the county, can I still participate?

At this time, curbside recycling will only be available to Town of Edenton residents and businesses who receive regular garbage bin pickup. 

What materials are not allowed in the curbside recycling program?

The following materials are not allowed for curbside recycling: aerosol cans, all batteries (car, lithium, etc.), books, ceramic items, clothing or textiles, diapers, disposable cups (plastic and paper), electronics, food-tainted itemsglass bottles and jars, hazardous waste, household glass (windows, mirrors, glass dishware and Pyrex), medical waste, plastic bags/wrap, scrap metal/wood, shredded paper, styrofoam/peanuts, tanglers (cords, hoses, wires, etc.), tires, and toys.

When will curbside recycling service resume in Edenton?

Curbside recycling service in Edenton will resume Wednesday, December 6, 2023 and will occur every OTHER Wednesday after that. The official date will be announced to the public soon. Please ensure your recycling bin is ready for collection by that date. There will be an approximately one month grace period to get everyone accustomed to recycling again.

When will recycling be picked up?

Every other Wednesday, town-wide. The start date will be advertised when we are able to confirm it. 


Which materials are accepted for recycling in the curbside program?

Accepted items for recycling include plastic bottles and jugs (empty and rinse, no pumps), metal cans (empty and rinse), and paper products (paper, cartons, and cardboard). Glass and books are not allowed in this program.

Who should I contact for more information or if I have questions about the curbside recycling program?

For more information or any questions about the curbside recycling program, please contact the Public Works Department at 252-482-4111 or the Public Information Office at 252-482-2155 ext. 535. They will be able to assist you with any inquiries you may have.

  • The following items can be recycled -
  1.          #1 & #2 plastic bottles/jug (rinsed)
  2.          steel, tin & aluminum cans  (rinsed)
  3.           paper
  4.           cardboard boxes - flattened
  5.           food & beverage cartons - rinsed 


  • The following items are not able to be recycled and should be placed in the garbage -
  1.            paint cans
  2.            aerosol cans
  3.            motor oil
  4.            plastic bags
  5.            wood products
  6.            yard waste
  7.            glass bottles



Small limbs, leaves, and other yard-related debris can be placed at the curb for collection on Thursday and Friday by the Public Works Department.  Please do not place leaves in garbage bags, in a container, or on a tarp as the Town has a leaf collection machine that will collect the leaves by a vacuum.

All limbs should be less than 60" in length.  Keep separate from leaves and grass clippings. 

DO NOT PLACE ANY yard waste in the street.  This causes clogged storm drains and will cause flooding.

All yard waste should be at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on Thursday morning.