Residential Yard & Waste Bulk Collection Program
Recent changes to state rules regarding the Town’s yard waste debris site, have changed some processes of our yard debris collection program. Also the Town Council recently amended Town Code to prohibit yard waste and leaves from being placed in the street or blown into street using mechanical blowers. This new rule will help prevent street flooding and prevent yard waste from entering the Town’s storm sewer system and making its way to Edenton Bay. Below are the Town’s Yard Waste & Bulk Collection rules and regulations.
- Leaves, limbs and grass clippings should be placed adjacent to the curb or street, NOT in the street.
- Do not place leaves or grass clippings on a tarp or in a container.
- Keep all leaves and grass separate from limbs.
- Do not discharge or blow grass or leaves into the street.
- All limbs should be less than 60” in length and/or no more than 4” in diameter. Limbs, branches and shrubs exceeding these length and diameter restrictions will be accessed a special pick up/collection fee per Town Code.
- Yard waste should be out by 7AM on Thursday mornings. Pickup will be on Thursdays and Fridays. Leaves will be picked up daily in the fall.
Due to state regulations at the receiving landfill, the Town cannot collect construction materials, furniture and other bulk items. The Town is also prohibited from collecting tree trunks and logs. However Residents can use the County Convenience Centers to dispose construction debris, tree debris larger than 4 inches in diameter and bulk items. Call 252-297-3300 or visit www.chowancounty-nc.gov for more information.
Yard waste collection is a residential service. Landscapers, Tree Surgeon, Contactors or other technicians hired by residents or property owners to trim or remove trees and or shrubs on private property are responsible for removing and properly disposing of tree and shrub trimmings and or limbs branches, trunks and stumps.Call Public Works at 252-482-4111 for additional information about this policy. Property owners within the Town’s Historic District should contact the Planning Department for guidance on how to obtain permission from the Historic Preservation Commission prior to any removal of trees. Call 252-482-2155, ext. 103 for assistance or email email@example.com